Have a Question?
Table of Contents
< All Topics

UK Partner Visas for US Citizens

American citizens coming to the United Kingdom to marry UK citizens or persons who are ‘settled in the UK’, or to register as Civil Partners, typically require entry clearance from UK authorities before coming to the UK.

Failure to obtain entry clearance prior to arrival is likely to result in a refusal of entry to the UK. In short, people who are subject to immigration control and who wish to marry in the United Kingdom must:

  • hold entry clearance as a fiancé/e or marriage visitor, or
  • hold a Home Office certificate of approval, or
  • be a person with settled status in the United Kingdom (e.g. Indefinite Leave to Remain).

Want to find out more about UK Partner Visas?

Talk to our experts and get the right advice first time, every time.

Ask Us Now

American Citizenship and Marriage to a UK Citizen

American citizenship is not affected in any way by marrying a UK national. You will not lose your American citizenship, however nor will you automatically acquire British citizenship simply by marrying a British citizen. Similarly, a UK citizen will not acquire American citizenship simply by marrying an American citizen.

Civil Partnerships

The UK Civil Partnership Act 2004 allows a same-sex couple to register as civil partners of each other. A civil partnership can be registered in England and Wales in a register office or in approved premises. Note that, as for marriage, entry clearance must be obtained from the relevant UK authorities prior to arrival in the UK.

US Spouses, Unmarried Partners and Dependants of UK Citizens

If you are a spouse/fiancé/partner and you are travelling to the UK for purposes other than as a tourist or business visitor, then you will not be allowed to enter the United Kingdom unless you have been granted a visa from a UK consulate prior to travelling to the UK.

UK Partner Visas

You can learn more about UK partner visas by visiting the links below:

  • UK Spouse Visas
  • UK Fiance Visas
  • UK Unmarried Partner Visas
  • UK Marriage Visit Visas