Have a Question?
Table of Contents
< All Topics

UK Marriage Visit Visa

The UK Marriage Visit visa caters to those individuals who wish to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK with a person who is not settled in the UK. For instance, the fiancée of a person with limited leave to remain in the UK (such as a student or work visa holder). This visa should not be confused with the UK fiancé visa.

If you want to come to the UK because you are going to marry a UK citizen, you should apply for a fiancé visa. The fiancé visa allows you to extend your stay in the UK to the length of a spouse.

If you have no intention of settling or remaining in the UK, and only wish to get married in the UK, then this visa may be appropriate.

Want to find out if you qualify for a Marriage Visit Visa?

Talk to our experts and get the right advice the first time, every time.

Find Out Now

Entry Clearance as a Visitor for Marriage

To qualify for entry clearance to the UK as a visitor for the purpose of marriage you must meet the standard UK visitor entry requirements:

  • You are genuinely seeking entry as a visitor for up to six months
  • You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit
  • You do not intend to take up employment in the UK
  • You have sufficient money to support and accommodate yourself without recourse to public funds or taking employment
  • You can meet the cost of a return or onward journey.

Furthermore you must also show that:

  • You are free to marry
  • You intend to marry during your visit to the UK
  • You can be supported without working or having recourse to public funds during your visit
  • You intend to depart the UK before the expiry date of your visa.

Duration of Stay

Marriage Visit visas are only granted for a maximum of six months, after which you are required to leave the UK. Therefore if you intend to remain in the UK after you marry or form a civil partnership, you will be required to return home and apply for the appropriate dependant visa.

Giving Notice to Marry

If you are a non EEA national and you wish to get married in the UK, you are required to give notice of your intention to marry to a registrar at a designated register office in the UK. Details of your local register office can be found at The General Register Office.


If you and your partner have children who are under 18 years of age, they are allowed to enter the UK as your dependents.